Saturday, October 4, 2008

Geckos

I can still remember the first time I saw a gecko in our apartment when we first moved here. I was both frightened and amazed. Eight years later, when I see one crawling up the wall or scurrying across the floor, I'm not so alarmed anymore, and I think they are cute. Jaxon calls them "Yuck-o's" He used to call them "Deck-os."
We've caught a couple, to observe, but mostly our cat Jamaica gets to them first. The other night I saw one in our family room. It gobbled up a spider that was hanging out up in the corner. I've heard they are good for that, so I just let them be. They are only about 2 inches long.

Here's a close up, and the next picture shows how small they really are.

You can barely see it up there above the curtain.

Oh, and we also have squirrels and rabbits in our yard. Those are fun to watch too. It almost feels like we live in the wild.

3 comments:

  1. Didn't know that Yucko's hang out in Texas. I am trying to think of a caveman joke since the Gecko is a trademark for the Geico Insurance company that is bashing Cavemen.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5JV0Fs_GE8

    Catching a Gecko is so easy a Caveman can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yucko decko gecko's are kind of cute. It kind of sounds like you live on a farm of some sorts, with all the animals or a zoo with all the different types of animals/creatures.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed you leave him alone, I am such a wus and I would be having a fit! You really should see me with a snake...bad news!

    ReplyDelete